The Watchtower Lied About 1914
The King Is Ruling On The Throne
Of the many dates that the Watchtower has used in their bizarre chronologies, none stick out further -or are as important to a Jehovah’s Witness- than the year 1914. In a nutshell, they believe that Jesus has been invisibly present since 1914 and started ruling as king. Yes, it apparently took him quite awhile to achieve this status since his resurrection 2000 years ago. For an in depth look at how they got this doctrine, check out this great article by “JW Facts” on it. What I want us to zero in on, is a claim that they have made concerning this date. In 1993 they said (emphasis mine): “Jehovah’s Witnesses have consistently shown from the Scriptures that the year 1914 marked the beginning of this world’s time of the end and that “the day of judgment and of destruction of the ungodly men” has drawn near.”  They had made a similar claim earlier in the same year (1993 Watchtower January 15th), that Jesus’ presence began in 1914 , effectively winding the time clock of the end.
Have they consistently taught that the beginning of the end and Jesus’ presence started in 1914? No, they have not. Previous writings from the Watchtower Society have shown that the above statements are false on multiple fronts. For example, in 1890 they claimed the Bible pointed out “far in advance” that the time of the end was to begin in 1799 . Four years later, in the 1894 Watchtower, they made it known that God “let in the light” since the beginning of the end in 1799 . For many years they taught 1799 -not 1914- was the beginning of the end. In the same year (1894 that is) they boldly asserted -believing it was “God’s dates”- that the end or “time of trouble” was to happen in 1914 . In their 1922 Golden Age publication however, they sanitized this writing saying that they actually taught -for over 40 years- that 1914 was to be the beginning of the “great trouble” . This is an obvious lie as we can clearly see.
The Watchtower also washed over their former teaching on what they taught on Jesus’ presence. We have already seen their claim (refer to note 2) about consistently teaching Jesus’ presence in 1914, but again, their own publications rat them out. In 1923 they said the evidence was “overwhelming” that Jesus’ presence has been since 1874 . (On a side note, they often use the same rhetoric now about 1914. One must wonder though, if it was so obvious that Jesus’ presence started in 1914, then why did it take the Society decades to stop teaching the 1874 date and correct it with 1914? Sorry, I digress.) That overwhelming evidence later was strengthened and touted as scriptural proof in 1929 . Another issue I’d like to address before we conclude, is that even though they were teaching that Jesus’ presence started in 1874, the Society claimed that his “assuming of power as King of kings” actually started in 1878 . In reality, there were many changes, revisions, coverups, etc that were ongoing until they finally got their story straight in the late 30’s, that yes, Jesus’ presence started in 1914 as did his ruling on the throne.
1. 1993 Watchtower August 15th pg. 9 [PICTURE]
2. The Watchtower has consistently presented evidence to honesthearted students of Bible prophecy that Jesus’ presence in heavenly Kingdom power began in 1914. -1993 Watchtower January 15th pg. 5 [PICTURE]
3. It [the Bible] pointed out, that far in advance, that with the year 1799 “The Time of the End” would begin, and that the present “Time of the End” would be the “Day of God’s Preparation” (Nahum 2:3) for the incoming Millennium of blessing. -1890 Watchtower November pg. 3 [PICTURE]
4. During the Gospel age generally the prince of darkness has flourished, and consequently a large portion of it is known as the “darkages.” But since the beginning of the time of the end, in1799, God has specially let in the light,-and particularly since 1878. -1894 November 1st pg. 366
5. We see no reason for changing the figures-nor could we change them if we would. Thev are, we believe. God’s dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble. -1894 Watchtower July 15th pg. 226 [PICTURE]
6. 1922 Golden Age January 4th. pg. pg. 213 [PICTURE]
7. The evidence is overwhelming proving the second presence of our Lord. He has been present since 1874, conducting his harvest work. -1923 Watchtower July 15th pg. 211
8. 1929 Prophecy pg. 65 [PICTURE]
9. 1889 The Time Is At Hand Volume 2 pg. 239 [PICTURE]